Job & 1st Hawkeye Game

on Saturday, September 5, 2009

Finally a lead in my job hunt! Since we returned from our honeymoon I have been on a constant search for a job here in Iowa. We're fortunate enough to be sandwiched between two great towns for work opportunities, Iowa City and Cedar Rapids, so that expanded my possibilities a bit. However, knowing very few people in the area (other than students) there were no places where I had an easy in. I've applied for over ten jobs in the last month, always trying to followup within a week hoping to be more than just a resume in a stack of papers. No such luck until yesterday. On Thursday I applied for a position with ACT testing, expressing my interest also in temporary work. Yesterday, I received a phone call from human resources with ACT that they had forwarded my resume for the full time position and would like to place me immediately in a temp position that is under the same supervisor! It's definitely a start. I go to work this Tuesday.

Sadly, this may mark the end of my stay-at-home wife position. It was a lot of fun to play Martha Stewart while it lasted, but I guess I should use some of my other gifts for a while. It's funny how much work there can be in a home. There's a lot of love to put in it. I know that I've put a full months worth of days into cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, and errands and we don't have any kids to care for or animals to clean up after! I never once felt bored while I was at home and it didn't grow old. There's a time for everything though and right now it's time for me to get a job.

In other news, today was the first Hawkeye game of the season! Jeremy is a hawkeye and I married him. According to Jeremy, this means I too am a hawkeye. I can agree to that as long as he'll agree that we are still horned frogs. I'm not a big football fan, so my favorite part about TCU games was dressing in purple. This was a little different than TCU games. Iowa has about 22,000 more students then TCU does- imagine what that amounts to in alumni, staff, family...fans. It was a bit of craziness. A lot of people get up at 6 and 7 am to start tailgating. Jeremy didn't subject me to this- we showed up around 10 am and enjoyed coffee and breakfast at home. Good choice- by the time the game was over we had been out in the sun for long enough and I was glad I had a full nights sleep and coffee under my belt. We won by 1 point- blocking two field goals from UNI in the last 30 seconds of the game! Close start to the season.

Tomorrow we're driving back to Des Moines after church to spend Labor Day with Jeremy's family :). Hope you have a lovely Labor Day!

Sincerely Yours from the Land of Corn,
Leanne

0 comments:

Post a Comment