We've almost been married for 7 weeks now and life seems to be happening faster and faster. I think the criminal is busyness- it seems to steal time like no other. For the past two weeks I've been working for ACT (the testing company) in their production building.
I must admit I loved being a housewife- I would be perfectly happy cleaning, cooking, running, errands, paying bills, and making sure our home is in order everyday. During my 5 weeks at home I never once felt bored or lazy. Everyday I woke up with Jeremy- made his lunch, had coffee together, spent time on devotions, and then began working down the days to do list. Before I knew it Jeremy would be returning to a perfectly balanced home and wife along with a home cooked meal. It was also easier to do things for other people and entertain. I love this concept- it may seem a bit 1950's-ish, but I see the light on it. Every day I really felt like I was serving in an incredible position- doing a really big important job- and living with complete purpose.
However, there is a little tool called a budget that we've been working on and it has become clear that at this time I need to work outside of the house. With a husband in school, it would really help to have a job with benefits and a way to begin paying off loans. I've been applying for jobs since we got back from our honeymoon and there haven't been too many bites. Then two Thursdays ago I put in an application at The Loft and ACT. The loft was the first mall job I had applied for- I figured it would help to go ahead and get a part time job going while I searched for a regular position. The next morning I got a phone call first from the Loft setting up a noon interview and then at 1130 from ACT offering me an immediate full time temporary position under the same supervisor as the regular position I had applied for. So, I canceled my Loft interview and began work at ACT the following week.
Since then, life has really gone full speed. With rush hour traffic I've been making it home around 6. Then at night time I do the things I would typically do in the morning so that I can leave the house by 8. I pack our lunches, prep for the next nights dinner, pick out an outfit, get the coffee set on a timer, and then before I know it it's time for bed. I treasure dinner time. Jeremy has his first test this week so he's been incredibly busy studying, but he always stops completely when dinner is ready. We both sit down at the table (we have one now!) and share our days. I look forward to this time. I also enjoying sitting down to eat my lunch and thinking about how Jeremy is sitting down to eat the lunch I packed for him. One day when I was running out the door for an interview followed directly by work Jeremy packed my lunch for me and at lunch time I opened it up to find a vitamin, calcium chew, and note among the food :).
I still haven't made complete sense of the whole work situation, but I am trying my best to have ears that listen. I'm up for two full time positions that I should know about by the beginning of next week and I am realizing to even have a job right now is a blessing. Working alongside other temps at work that have masters degrees, 10+ years of experience, and excellent internships but are struggling to find work has made me truly appreciate this. During the first week of work I felt like I was a helping part to a tiny piece in an assembly line and wasn't even being considered for the full time position. I continually reminded myself of Jeremiah 29:11: "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." There are so many situations where this reminder is incredible. I didn't remember the two verses that followed, but when I looked them up this is what they say: "Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." What a pretty promise.
Well, Friday is almost here and it is time for bed.
Goodbye for now from the Land of Corn,
Leanne
0 comments:
Post a Comment